Riviera Ridge Students Raise Funds for CALM to Prevent Childhood Trauma

By Giving List Staff   |   January 13, 2022

Members of The Riviera Ridge School’s Service Brigade elective are hosting a fall Bedtime Drive to support the local non-profit organization, CALM. CALM’s mission is to prevent childhood trauma, heal children and families, and build resilient communities throughout Santa Barbara County. This year they are in need of books and small cozy stuffed animals, so students are organizing a schoolwide drive to collect these bedtime essentials. 

“The goal of the Service Brigade elective is to promote student voices and provide various pathways for direct action including partnership work with local nonprofits, design thinking to support local organizations addressing social issues, schoolwide initiatives to raise awareness and empathy for the needs of others, and to actively exercise purpose beyond self,” Rebecca Ryser, Middle School Division Coordinator and Service Brigade Advisor, said.

The 6th and 7th graders of Service Brigade researched local non-profits and decided that they were most drawn to CALM and their goal of creating safe communities where every child is nurtured.

“It’s a local organization that does good work helping children in need,” explained students Lulu Simpson and Cori Camenzind.

Under the guidance of Ryser, these middle schoolers have prepared presentations for both the Lower and Middle School to rouse support for this cause. Students can collect these items and bring them in from November 2nd to November 16th. 

“In a world where things are happening so fast and information about social issues, climate impacts, and social movements are a click away, our scholars are eager to discuss, learn, and help in any way that they can,” Ryser said. “Creating a safe service group for students allows the space for student voices to research, apply design thinking to problems in their community, and design service initiatives that have a direct and immediate impact on people and environments locally. Furthermore, it creates a pathway for young informed citizens to take on future service endeavors close to their personal passions.”

The Service Brigade elective is one of many multi-faceted electives that children cycle through once a term at Riviera Ridge. Teachers create these classes, which often stem from their personal passions and aim to spark the interest of their students and provide a space for them to explore and ignite passions of their own. Other elective options range from Yoga and Mindfulness, to Surfing, to studying the science of making chocolate through Chocolatiering. 

“The goal of the Service Brigade is to help people who are less fortunate than us and in need and to support organizations that directly help others,” explained 6th grader Lily Vankin. 

To learn more about CALM and how you can support their cause, visit their website calm4kids.org

At Riviera Ridge School, we provide student-centered, individualized learning in a joyful and nurturing community, inspiring academic excellence and valuing difference. The educational vision for each Riviera Ridge graduate is to empower individual potential, inspire purpose beyond self, and cultivate social responsibility as they prepare for high school and beyond. 

For more information, email info@rivieraridge.org or call 805-569-1811 ext. 131.

The Riviera Ridge School

Donate now!

www.rivieraridge.org
(805) 569-1811 ext. 234
Director of Development: Andrea McFarling

Mission

We provide student-centered, individualized learning in a joyful, and nurturing community, inspiring academic excellence and valuing difference.

Begin to Build a Relationship

We know you care about where your money goes and how it is used. Connect with this organization’s leadership in order to begin to build this important relationship. Your email will be sent directly to this organization’s director of development and/or Executive Director.

The Riviera Ridge School is more than academics. It is love, safety, friendship, and family.
Monica Eiler
Grandparent of Hope ‘14 and West ‘19

Growing the Endowment

Building the endowment, Head of School Christina Broderick says, will ensure that The Riviera Ridge School can continue to welcome students who would not normally be able to attend private school. “The bottom line is we want students to have better access to our school and our unique signature programs,” Broderick says. “We are deeply committed to the current and future students of our community,” Broderick pledges as she explains her long-term commitment to growing The Riviera Ridge School’s endowment by more than $20 million.

Key Supporters

Alexis Weaver, President
Steve Welton, Vice President
Paloma Arnold, Secretary
Nicholas Thacher, Treasurer
Theresa Borgatello-Carlson
Daniel Emmett
Mike Groeninger
Megan Sharma
Beth Skidmore
Lori Weathers
Tina Wood
Jessica Stovall,
Riviera Ridge Family Association President